- Prof. Xiaojun Chen. E-mail: xjchen[at]scu[dot]edu[dot]cn.
- Prof. Raphael Ponge. E-mail: ponge[dot]math[at]icloud[dot]com.
Time and Place:
Wednesdays, sections 5-7 (14:00-16:35), 3rd Teaching Building, Room 315.
- The main reference is Introduction to Commutative Algebra by M.F. Atiyah and I.G. MacDonald, Westview Press, 1969 (pdf).
- Exercises to Atiyah and Macdonald’s Introduction to Commutative Algebra by J.D.K. Carlson (pdf). Contains all solutions of exercises in Atiyah-MacDonald’s book, as well as proofs of results omitted or left to the reader. Beware of some minor notation discrepancies with Atiyah-MacDonald’s book.
- You grade will be on your scores on quizzes and the final exam.
- There will be 5 in-class quizzes throughout the semester.
- Each quiz will consists of 2 or 3 problems from the textbook (recommended problems and/or exercises within the text).
- Quiz 1 will take place on October 13. It will cover Chapter 1.
- Chapter 1: #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 22 (1st part only), 26, 28.
- Sep. 9: Chapter 1 (Rings and Ideals) (slides).
- Sep. 16: Chapter 1 (continued).
- Sep. 23: Chapter 1 (continued) + exercises on Chapter 1.
- Sep. 27: Exercises on Chapter 1 + .
- Sep. 30: Chapter 2 (Modules) (slides; they cover Chap. 2 up to exact sequences only).
- Oct. 7: No classes. National Day Holiday.
- Oct. 13: Quiz 1 + Chapter 2 (continued).
- Oct. 20: Chapter 2 (continued) + problems on Chap. 2.